Snake gourd is the longest gourd with an average height of one meter long. Its structure can well described as a narrow, twisted and elongated. It is consumed as a vegetable(immature) in Asia and a fruit(matured) in Africa. It is scientifically called “Trichosanthes cucumerina“.
Healthy properties of Snake gourd:
Snake gourd is well known for its feature of cooling effect on the body. In particular it has many other health benefits.
- Reduces fever: It is rich in Vitamin C with which acts as a good anti-oxidant. Hence it helps in treating bilious fever by reducing vomiting sensation.
- Regulates heart functioning: The immense availability of potassium in it helps in regulating blood pressure and also reduces stress which leads to stabilised functioning of heart.
- Reduces Diabetes: Snake gourd is the best food for diabetics with its low calorie and high nutrient characteristics. It lowers the blood sugar levels.
- Improves digestion: The amount of dietary fibre in snake gourd improve digestion by reducing constipation and bloating issues.
- Cures hair problems: Snake gourd application helps in reducing dandruff and other scalp disorders like alopecia.
- Rich source of minerals: The good source of various minerals such as calcium, magnesium and phosphorous helps in strengthening bones and teeth.
- Detoxifies the body: The water content in the snake gourd stimulates the functioning of liver and kidney by increasing the bodily fluid production and eliminates toxins with increased urination.
- Treats Jaundice: Snake gourd leaves play the crucial role in treating jaundice. Take one cup of water and boil it with 10 snake gourd leaves, simultaneously boil half a litre of water with 10 coriander seeds. Mix both of them and you can consume it at least thrice a day for better results in treating jaundice.